Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Things Learned from Translating

My job as a translator can be rather dull at times, but every now and then I learn some interesting things. Today, I learned the following:

-Indonesia is home to one of the world's three major rainforests.
-Unfortunately, every year the rainforest is shrinking by a land area equivalent to two-thirds the size of Taiwan (36,000 km2, or 14,000 ft2).
-This trend is also threatening the orangutans which inhabit the forest.
-Some Taiwanese organizations are trying to help the problem by going there to set up conservation centers, which is great, but ummm...they claim the centers are going to:

'teach local residents that orangutans are a valuable asset...develop tourism...promote cultural events...use the internet, which transcends national boundaries, to bring the people of the world together as a force for benefiting the environment as well as our posterity.'

I really don't want to be too harsh on a organization that's trying to help the environment, but you'll have to pardon my cynicism if I find their goals a little naive, not to mention ethnocentric...

No comments:

Post a Comment